Parking, shuttle information and road closures for 2019 Commemoration of the First African Landing events at Fort Monroe on August 24-25August 23, 2019
Virginia’s 2019 Commemoration, American Evolution, in partnership with Fort Monroe Authority, Fort Monroe National Monument, and the City of Hampton, will host the 2019 Commemoration of the First African Landing on August 24-25, 2019 at Fort Monroe in Hampton, Va. The multi-day event is centered around the 400th anniversary of the landing of the first enslaved Africans in English-occupied North America at Point Comfort in 1619.
Due to the special events, the general public and visitors are urged to plan ahead and be aware of the changes to normal public access to roads. Please plan ahead for arrival due to high traffic in the area. For a complete schedule of events visit FirstAfricanlanding.com.
Parking and Shuttles:
The events at Fort Monroe on Saturday, August 24 and Sunday, August 25 are free and open to the public. Visitors are encouraged to arrive early. Parking is free and with shuttle service from the parking areas to the activities in Continental Park. Event staff will direct visitors to free parking areas and shuttles will transport visitors to the hub of 2019 Commemoration activities. Shuttles begin at 8 am on Saturday and 12 noon on Sunday.
There is a designated ADA parking lot on Saturday and Sunday for individuals with mobility issues. Golf cart shuttle service will provide transportation to the ceremony tent in Continental Park.
Road Restrictions and Closures:
Friday, August 23rd (approximately 8 AM) – Sunday, August 25th (approximately 10 PM)
● Ingalls Road from Harrison Street to Fenwick Road will be ONE WAY towards the Chamberlin.
● Fenwick Road from Ingalls Road to the main entrance of the Chamberlin will be one way toward Mcnair Road and the Marina.
● Fenwick Road will be closed from Ingalls Road to the Outlook Beach parking lot. No regular vehicular traffic will be permitted on Fenwick Road in this area.
● Fort Monroe residents along Fenwick Road will be accommodated with parking passes, and temporary access roads to navigate road closures.
● No parking will be permitted on Fenwick Road in front of the Chamberlin, or at the Engineers Warf fishing pier. No parking will be permitted on Ingalls Road from Harrison Street to Fenwick Road.
● Fort Monroe Residents should utilize assigned parking and spaces behind the residences only.
For hotel information, please visit www.visithampton.com for a full list of hotels in Hampton, Virginia. For more information about bus trips and tour groups, please contact Bruce Newton at Bnewton@hamptoncvb.com or 757-728-5319. For more information about the 2019 Commemoration of the First African Landing visit FirstAfricanLanding.com.